UV Water Disinfection for Rainwater Treatment
Rainwater harvesting is a sustainable option for the environmentally conscious or for areas that are not connected to town water supplies. By installing the most suitable rainwater purification system, rainwater can be used for drinking, showering, bathing, laundry washing, toilet flushing, dishwashing, product addition, equipment wash-down, car washing, swimming pool top-up and many other applications. In addition to captured rainwater being free, it does not contain added chemicals such as fluoride and chlorine.
As captured rainwater is created by run-off flowing from roofs into guttering systems and storage tanks, it is likely to contain faecal matter from birds, bats and other animals. It is these faeces that contain harmful bacteria and pathogens such as Cryptosporidium, Giardia, Salmonella and more. A UV disinfection rainwater treatment system will ensure that these pathogens are destroyed.
A well-designed rainwater harvesting system will include the following rainwater treatment steps:
- First flush diverter – prevents first flush of rainwater from entering rainwater tank, reducing the number of contaminants from entering the storage tank
- Rainwater storage tank – stores captured rainwater for when required
- Rainwater pump – pumps captured rainwater to water outlets
- UV pre-treatment – rainwater water filter or sediment filter to remove sediment to allow UV system to optimally disinfect rainwater
- Rainwater UV disinfection system – inactivates and outright destroys pathogens in the rainwater, making it safe for consumption or use
UV-Guard provides combined rainwater water filtration and UV disinfection solutions for mining camps, apartment buildings, schools, universities, homes (whole of house, under sink), farms, industrial manufacturing and many other water using site requiring to reuse rainwater safely.
Contact a UV-Guard rainwater treatment engineer today.